The above problem covers some important points of problem solving.
- Identify: What is the question?
- Plan: What strategy will I use?
- Solve: Carry out your plan. Make your thinking visible.
- Check: Does my answer make sense?
Criteria for a Good Solution:
- Is EFFICIENT. Doesn’t use unnecessary steps.
- Provides an ACCURATE answer using numbers, pictures or words.
- Shows your THINKING and calculations. Uses an effective strategy.
- Proves that you UNDERSTAND the concept or topic.
- Makes SENSE and is easy to understand.
A solution that EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS will find something missing, or extends your thinking to make a connection to the “real world” in some way.