Earthquake Review STUDY GUIDE
Here’s the 9 QUESTIONS students selected for review because they believe they are important to know and understand. Some of our grade fives created short tutorials to help you understand better.
- Question #1:Explain how earthquakes are caused. Can humans cause earthquakes?
- Question #2: Describe the effects of an earthquake, and the dangers that earthquakes cause.
- Question #3: Describe how you can be prepared for an earthquake.
For this question, you can think about when we interviewed the emergency response coordinator for Langley.
- Question #4: How is the strength of an earthquake measured?
- Question #5: Explain why the Cascadia region is likely to have a big earthquake.
- Question #6: Describe how earthquakes cause tsunamis.
- Question #7: Describe the difference between P waves and S waves.
This video is informative but isn’t clear about the differences. Check out this link: http://www.kids-fun-science.com/earthquake-waves.html
- Question #8: How were First Peoples’ stories used as evidence of the last “big one” in 1700 on the coast of BC?
- Question #9: How can you design buildings to withstand earthquakes?