Throughout the school year, students will conduct experiments testing the effects different variables on something they are investigating. They will make a hypothesis, collect data and determine whether their hypothesis was correct. Students will also analyze their results and explain what they observed. There is a lot of thinking required to become an expert scientist!
Key Terms to Know:
- INDEPENDENT VARIABLE
- DEPENDENT VARIABLE
- CONTROLLED VARIABLES
- FAIR TEST
- Thinking Like a Scientist
- The Scientific Method (includes data from push-up experiment)
- Product Testing Experiments (self-designed by students)
- Product Test Experiment (Mr. Woelders’ sample)
- How can we improve push-up performance?
- Are Staedtler erasers better quality than other common erasers? (Example of a product test experiment)